Android is the operating system that enables a lot of smartphones and tablets. Since these smartphones and tablets, devices reached our lives very rapidly. So they can call like sweets. Because of that, each android version is named after a dessert. Such as Cupcake, Donut, Éclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice cream sandwich and Jelly Bean, and so on. There are various android versions.
Initial Android versions
Cupcake android version introduced the camcorder to video recording. On the fly upload to YouTube and Picasa. It enabled Bluetooth functionality. Widgets on the home screen and also it was an animated screen.
1.6 Donut (2009)
The donut android version has a cam and camcorder integrated gallery. Voice search, voice dial as well as bookmark, history, and contact searching are special functionalities of this. It also using text to speech conversion. Besides, has WVGA screen resolution and google turn-by-turn navigation features.
2.0 Eclair (2009)
Eclair has improved speed, better screen size resolution, and contrast ratio. It supports HTML5. Google maps 3.1.2 is the most important feature. It has an MS exchange server integration architecture. Moreover, having flash cameras and Bluetooth 2.1 virtual keyboard consider as special functionalities.
2.2 Froyo (2010)
The screen is 320 dpi and 720p. This version consists of improved speed, memory, and performance. Froyo has built using chrome with v8 JS Engine and JIT Compiler. It has Wi-Fi hotspot functionality. As well as, the ability to disable data access over mobile. Automatic apps update and Bluetooth contact sharing are important characteristics of Froyo. Nevertheless, it can install apps in expandable memory.
2.3 Gingerbread (2011)
This type of version has an X-tra large screen size and resolution. Especially has SNP VolP support. Audio effects and improved graphics for gaming is a special feature of this. In addition to that, there are special characteristics called near field communication, copy-paste features, multi-touch software keyboard, and multi-camera support. Furthermore, the gingerbread version has concurrent garbage collection, enhanced power management, and better app control. Also, it has a download manager for large downloads.
This version launched on Moto Xoom. It has a 3D desktop with newer widgets. Also consists of multi-core processor architecture. On the other hand, it has so many features. Such as multi-panel navigation, Gtalk video chat, google chrome synchs, private browsing, and also tabbed web browsing.
Other latest versions
- 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (2011) – This is a collection of both Gingerbread and Honeycomb.
- 4.1 Jelly Bean (2012) – Jelly beans have faster and smoother performance.
- 4.4 KitKat (2013) – Everyone’s favorite sweet is chocolate. Therefore decided to name the next version of Android as KitKat. That enables us to win Nexus 7 or Google Play credit.
- 5.0 Lollipop (2014) – Pop-up alerts it the special functionality.
- 6.0 Marshmallow (2015) – Doze mode is introduced in this version to save battery life. On the other hand Fingerprint readers, 4K mode and Type-C are additional added features.
- 7.0 Nougat (2016) – This already enables Google’s VR endeavor.
- 8.0 Oreo (2017) – This is a multitasking version. This also has improved security features, copy-paste, and good battery management qualities.
- 9.0 Pie (2018) – This version is very faster. The most important thing is the saving battery life.
- 10.0 Q (2019) – This is the latest version of android. Released on September 3, 2019, on Pixel devices on Google. Every above version has a sweet dessert name. But this has deviated from other android version patterns.
Hi I’m Oshan I’m a Computer hardware engineer with B.Sc (CS) degree.